Everyone is welcome to paint and draw, but only artists that sign up get the goods…
- Register before May 1 to be listed as a “Featured Artist” in the Festival Guide
- The first 50 artists to register for the Festival will receive a Festival Swag Bag
- Compete for $1500 in prizes, ribbons and special awards
- Exhibit and sell artwork at the Festival, subject to space limitations
- Early registration is $35 by May 1. Late registration is $45.
- Sign up on-line or in person at Finer Frames
- Artists who wish to exhibit and enter their art in competition must follow the rules established by the Festival overlords and have their blank surfaces stamped at Finer Frames
The competition is open to professional and amateur artist working in dry media (pencil, pastel, charcoal, etc.) watercolor, acrylic and oil paint.
Click here for a complete list of festival-rules-2017
From professional workshops to community art studio, there is something for everyone in this week long festival. Click here for the complete event schedule SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
- PAPI Grand Prize Award $500
- 1st Place $200
- 2nd Place $150
- 3rd Place $100
- Honorable Mention $50
- Art in the Vines Quick Draw – 1st Place $100
- Art in the Vines Quick Draw – 2nd Place $75
- Art in the Vines Quick Draw – 3rd Place $50
- Art in the Vines Quick Draw – Honorable Mention $25
- Nocturnal Paint Out – 1st Place $100
- Nocturnal Paint Out – 2nd Place $75
- Nocturnal Paint Out – 3rd Place $50
- Nocturnal Paint Out – Honorable Mention $25
- PAPI Member Special Recognition Award
- Audience Choice – Best Oil
- Audience Choice – Best Water Media
- Audience Choice – Best Dry Media
Bonnie’s Book Camp | Pastel Painting Workshop | 9:00am – 4:00pm
Saturday June 3, 2017
Bonnie Griffith, award-winning landscape artist & instructor, is offering a one day pastel painting workshop. The hands-on workshop will focus on composition, creating an underpainting and balancing shapes to develop a strong painting using soft pastels.
Please bring, easel, chair, apron, latex gloves (optional) soft pastels, a few hard pastels in dark and light values (gray, white, black or dark blue – Prismacolor) 1/2-1 inch old, soft brushes, paper towels, isopropyl alcohol and small container to do a wash on paper (Papers will be provided by instructor), sketch book (small), Krylon Workable Fixative and a desire to learn some new technique. We will most likely be working in a shaded area outside. If you need a small table for your supplies, please bring that as well. (I use a standing easel, stool and small, folding table.) Bonnie will provide references to paint from and will have available some favorite pastel sticks for purchase. $95 Register Here
Niles Nordquist 3 Day Workshop | 9:00am – 5:00pm
Monday June 5 – Wednesday June 7, 2017
This workshop is designed for artists interested in learning or expanding their abilities in plein air painting. It features hands-on painting and personal instruction from Niles Nordquist, a nationally recognized, award winning plein air painter and this years Festival juror. On-site locations include the gardens at Camille Beckmans, and other picturesque sites. $375 PAPI members save -$50. Register Here
What you’ll experience in this workshop
- Helpful hands-on critiques during your painting & group critiques of your finished work
- Demonstrations each day
- Evening lecture/presentations relating to plein air painting on 6/5 and 6/6, 2017
- Instruction handouts and reference materials
- Resource references for books, magazines, organizations, websites, other workshops
- Read More Nile Nordquist Workshop
WHERE TO PAINT
Eagle offers an exciting variety of subject matter for painters; barns, river front, rolling foothills and more. Our event staff will answer questions and be happy to recommend the best access areas for painters. Here’s just a few area highlights…
The Foothills rise above Eagle, providing a postcard backdrop that inspires and soothes the soul. An interconnected network of roads and trails courses through these hills, linking not only neighborhoods with public lands but also connecting people with the natural environment. Read More
Thursday we invite you to spend the day painting in the rolling hills of 3 Horse Ranch Vineyards. This vast, historic ranch is now home to Idaho’s largest family-owned winery. We invite you to experience our remarkable vineyards and wines from America’s newest and most fascinating wine-growing frontier, The Eagle Foothills District of the Snake River Valley Appellation in Eagle, Idaho.
Art in the Vines is a new event this year for artists and patrons on 3 Horse Ranch. Thursday evening is filled with live jazz concert by the VanPaepaghem Sextet, wine tasting, food by Kanak Attack Catering and a 2 hour Quick Draw competition from 6:30 – 8:30pm. Bring an easel and be prepared to sell your paintings in our festival tent.
Eagle Island State Park will be our host for Friday’s Paint Out. Registered artist will receive a complimentary pass to enter the park. Your painting location will be assigned by lottery and announced at the Artist Reception on Wednesday evening. The 545 acre state park is located a mile west of downtown Eagle. The park is bordered by the North and South channels of the Boise River. The park features a popular swimming beach, grassy area and more than five miles of trails surrounded by abandoned outbuildings and fencing perfect for painting.
Join us for Friday night’s Nocturnal Paint Out under a full June moon. Artists are free to paint by street lamps or the light of the full moon. Paintings eligible for this special competition are due to Finer Frames at 9:00am Saturday.
The Boise River Greenbelt follows its namesake river among towering trees, connecting downtown Eagle neighborhoods and the business district to Boise and beyond to the East. The 46-mile trail is one of the area’s most popular for its scenic views, wildlife and access to popular parks and recreation sites. In addition it provides a non-motorized corridor for commuters and passes by the BSU campus. Read More
All paintings offered for sale will share a 40% commission off the retail price with Finer Frames. Event staff will handle all transactions and pay artists at the conclusion of the Festival show.
HOW TO REGISTER
Deadline for early registration is 5:00pm Mon May 1, 2017. Print & complete the 2017 Registration Form. Late registration will be available on-site for $45.
- Snail Mail Registration to:
Eagle Plein Air Festival
c/o Finer Frames
164 E State Street
Eagle, ID 83616
- Email to: email@example.com
- Phone Registration: 208-888-9898 (weekdays 10am – 5pm)
Contact Event Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 208-888-9898